Special focus on Canadian Ninth Art
Angoulême International Comics Festival
January 24–28, 2024
Now in its 51st year, the Angoulême International Comics Festival is one of the largest festivals of its kind worldwide, featuring more than 400 events and 365 exhibitors, including publishers from 26 countries. For five days, including one professional day, the city becomes the centre of the comics world.
The prestigious special focus on Canadian Ninth Art at Europe’s largest comics festival is an important opportunity for the Canadian delegation of 75+ comics creators and publishers to show the world their considerable talent and diversity through various activities and sites, including a dedicated 245 m2 Canada Pavilion.
The Canadian delegation for the Special Focus year represents a wide range of artists’ perspectives and practices as well as the country’s geographic and linguistic diversity, with nearly 60 authors and over 20 independent Canadian publishers from across the country. Canada will have its own pavilion in the heart of the city where visitors will be able to discover Canada’s Ninth Art through various activities, including panels, book signings, workshops, live drawings, B2B meetings, and a dedicated bookstore. The public will also be invited to appreciate Canadian comics through special programming at various sites throughout the festival including a large exhibition, D’un océan à l’autre, cap sur la bande dessinée canadienne, featuring over 70 creators from all of Canada’s provinces and territories.
Browse our special feature on Canadian Ninth Art to discover the diversity and creativity of Canada's comics creators.
Visit us at the Canada Pavilion and discover more outstanding content. You can also browse the directory of publishers who will be exhibiting on the Canada Stand at the Pavilion.
- Angoulême International Comics Festival website: https://www.bdangouleme.com/
- Welcome message from Pascale St-Onge, Minister of Canadian Heritage: https://youtu.be/KH8os-a3d2I
- Livres Canada Books News Release: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadian-comics-shine-at-the-51st-festival-international-de-la-bande-dessinee-d-angouleme-864641390.html
- Canadian Heritage News Release: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/news/2023/08/special-focus-on-canadian-comics-at-the-angouleme-international-comics-festival-with-the-support-of-the-government-of-canada.html
- Global Affairs Canada/Trade Commissioner Service Events page: https://www.deleguescommerciaux.gc.ca/france/events-evenements/0015679.aspx?lang=fra&_ga=2.22824507.1288431901.1702483489-243742601.1689944598
Canada’s presence at the festival is thanks to a partnership with Global Affairs Canada, Canadian Heritage in collaboration with Livres Canada Books, the Canada Council for the Arts, the Canadian Cultural Centre, the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, Québec BD, and Air Canada.