Translation Grants and Awards (Exporting Canadian Works Abroad)
Where can publishers obtain funding for the translation of Canadian titles? In an increasingly interconnected world, the exchange of stories and ideas across languages plays a crucial role in building links between markets and cultures. Promoting Canada’s diverse linguistic heritage through translation and exportation can only enhance its global presence.
In the third installment of our translation series, we have gathered a targeted list of grants and other resources that may help facilitate the translation and export of Canadian titles abroad.
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Arts Abroad has a translation component. It is intended for the translation of Canadian-authored literary or dramatic works into a foreign language and related promotional activities. https://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/arts-abroad/translation
- The Aide à l’exportation et au rayonnement culturel supplement is intended to help export Québecois cultural products—including books—to markets outside Québec. https://sodec.gouv.qc.ca/domaines-dintervention/livre/aide-a-lexportation-2/aide-a-lexportation/
- PEN America
- PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants are awarded for the translation of works into English. https://pen.org/pen-heim-grants/
- Sharjah International Book Fair
- SIBF administers a grant for parties seeking to enter into rights deals translating titles from any language into any language, provided they attended the Fair during the year in question. https://www.sibf.com/en/content?id=10311
- Peterson Literary Fund
- The Translation-in-Progress Grant is awarded biennially to translations of literary works that promote a better understanding of Ukraine or the Ukrainian people or are deemed to be of significant interest to the global Ukrainian community. These works should be translated from Ukranian into other languages or vice-versa. https://www.petersonliteraryfund.com/translation-in-progress-grant
- Trade Commissioner Service of the Government of Canada
- The TCS can assist Canadian businesses with exportation and market research. https://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/offices-bureaux-internationaux.aspx?lang=eng
Want to learn more? Keep an eye out for the next installment of our translation series on targeted international translation grants and opportunities.