Translation Grants and Awards (International)
Where can Canadian publishers obtain funding for the translation of international works? In a world rich in diverse literary traditions and voices, translation is a gateway to new perspectives, captivating stories, and a deeper understanding of global cultures. Making this literature available to Canadian readers across languages can benefit all publishers involved, as well as their respective literary scenes.
In the fourth installment of our translation series, we have gathered a targeted list of grants, awards, and other resources that may help facilitate the translation and import of international works into Canadian markets.
- Programa Sur (Argentina)
- The purpose of this grant is to support the translation of works by Argentine authors so as to encourage their printing in foreign languages. The works must have been written in Spanish by Argentine authors and must already have been published. http://programa-sur.cancilleria.gob.ar/en/index.php
- Reading Colombia (Colombia)
- This grant is awarded to foreign publishers who wish to translate, publish, and promote Colombian works in other languages. https://cerlalc.org/reading-colombia-una-convocatoria-del-ministerio-de-cultura-para-la-traduccion-y-publicacion-de-obras-de-autores-colombianos-en-otros-idiomas-y-territorios/
- Programa de Apoyo a la Traducción (PROTRAD)(Mexico)
- A reciprocal publication program supporting Mexican and foreign editors to translate and publish titles. https://www.cultura.gob.mx/gobmx/convocatorias/detalle/3477/programa-de-apoyo-a-la-traduccion-protrad-
- Slovenian Book Agency Grants (Slovenia)
- Grants are offered for the translation and publication of works by Slovenian authors, as well as for printing costs. https://www.jakrs.si/en/international-cooperation/tenders-and-public-calls/
- Ministerio de Cultura y Deporte (Spain)
- Grants are offered to assist in the translation of Spanish works into foreign languages. https://www.culturaydeporte.gob.es/en/servicios-al-ciudadano/catalogo/becas-ayudas-y-subvenciones/ayudas-y-subvenciones/libro/fomento-traduccion-lenguas-extranjeras.html#dg
- Ministère de la Culture (France)
- This grant is offered to assist in the translation of French works into foreign languages. The application for funding is made by the French publisher who has sold rights to a foreign publisher. https://www.culture.gouv.fr/Divers/Outils-de-financement-des-entreprises-culturelles/Livre/Subvention-aux-editeurs-pour-la-traduction-d-ouvrages-francais-en-langues-etrangeres
- New Italian Books (Italy)
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation offers grants for the translation and promotion of Italian works abroad.
- The Ministry of Culture offers support for the translation and reading abroad of Italian works. https://www.newitalianbooks.it/translation-funding-2/
- Jabuti Award (Brazil)
- Awarded by the Brazilian Book Chamber (CBL), the Jabuti Award is given to Brazilian authors for literary merit. In 2017, the Brazilian Book Published Abroad category was introduced, intended for works whose copyright was sold to a foreign publisher. https://brazilianpublishers.com.br/en/grants-and-awards-2/
- Frankfurt Fellowship Program
- Organized by Frankfurter Buchmesse, this training and networking program includes visits to publishers, agencies and bookstores, market presentations, matchmaking events in Frankfurt and Berlin. https://www.buchmesse.de/en/fellowship-and-grant-programmes/frankfurt-fellowship
Keep an eye out for the fifth and final installment in our translation blog series, where we explore best practices for working with translators.